I was searching the Internet for information why Mechwarrior Online does not use my Radeon 6950 in 100%. I found information that downgrading amd/ati radeon drivers to 12.10 version (I had 13.12 ver) may help. So I uninstalled 13.12 from “Add or Remove programs” then downloaded 12.10 version and installed it. Unfortunately that operation totally destabilized my PC... After long investigation I found that this downgrade had broken my Direct3D. But the symptoms
was really strange:
- While launching steam there was “Steam client bootstrapper has stopped working” error
- I couldn't start Mechwarrior Online. The launcher was starting but after clicking “Play” nothing was happening.
- Launching “dxdiag” was giving “DxDiag has detected that there might have been a problem accessing Direct3D” error.
I realized that this last one is a major issue. Uncle Google said that there is no option to reinstall DirectX neither the Direct3D. Only tips was to update them to the newest version
. Unfortunately I had the newest version so the installer didn't want to update a thing. Reinstalling drivers and many other things didn't help neither.
The funny thing is that there is a workaraound for this problem. I could run everything properly in “Windows 7 compatibility mode” plus “Run as administrator”. Steam, Mechwarrior Online, everything was working.
The only thing that really solved the issue was Display Driver Uninstaller
- Download DDU (I used 10.0 version from here)
- Uninstall the AMD/ATI radeon drivers through the “Add or remove programs”
- Restart your system into safe mode
- Use the downloaded DDU to clear your system from any AMD/ATI files
After restart you should be able to run DxDiag without any errors. That means the problem is solved. You can now safely install any version of AMD/ATI drivers.
If you, after downgrading your drivers, also have problems with running Catalyst Control Centre you can see this post