When, after connecting to a VPN (like NordVPN), your Internet connection is fine (e.g., you can browse the Internet using a web browser) but Windows reports "No internet connection" and some Microsoft/Windows applications doesn't work (e.g., XBOX app) then here is what helped me.
Follow the steps as on the above image:
- Click on the network status icon
- Click on the "Network & Internet settings" option
- Click on the "Change adapter options" option
- Right click on your VPN ethernet connection and select Properties from the list
- Select "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)" on the list
- Click "Properties" button
- Click "Advanced" button
- Click "Add" button to add the default gateway
- Put your gateway IP address
- Click "Add" button and close all other windows by using "OK" button
If you do not know what is your gateway IP address then disconnect VPN for a while and open command line (press Windows key + R and type
cmd and press enter). In the command line window write
ipconfig and press enter. Find your non-vpn adapter in the results and under it there should be default gateway IP addres. Use that one.